Monday, April 12, 2010

Floral Birthday

Hello Friends!

Hope you had a great weekend! Ours was so beautiful in East Tennessee! We shared a great time with my brother and his family! We got to celebrate my Mom's birthday and mine !! I am really ready to celebrate as today is MY birthday! Woo Hoo!! I LOVE birthdays!! I have been so blessed in my life and a birthday just shares the blessing even more! We also have several other family members and friends who have birthdays and anniversaries this month! Over the next few posts, I would like to share some of the cards I made to recognize their special days!

Today's card was one of the largest ones I have made! It was for a very dear friend who has brought so much love and joy into our lives! She is a flower genius and shares her plants as well as her knowledge! Did you know there is an old Southern "wisdom" about giving and receiving plants and flowers? Well, supposedly, you always want to share your bounty with friends and neighbors so that your own "bed" or garden will multiply and grow hearty! And, you never say thank you to someone who gives you flowers or plants! Nope, you say God bless you! Again, supposedly, if you say thank you, your flowers will wither and die! There is some pretty profound stuff in there I think!

Enough Southern lore....back to the card! This was made from DCWV glitter cardstock. I first cut the stock to an 8 1/2 " x 11 " size. I scored it and folded it in half. The bottom border was cut from another sheet. I added button centers to several of the flowers on the stock. I also punched an accent flower from some of the stock. I used a brass brad for the center and attached it with glue dots. The top border was punched with a MS punch. I used Nesties to cut the circle for the sentiment and outlined it with gold marker. The inside of the card was pretty spiffy on its own but I added a stamped sentiment and a computer generated verse. I also added a signature block as the paper was very textured. I love the vibrant colors in this stock and will probably use it often!

So glad you visited today! I hope you will come by often and stay a while! You are always welcome to look around and leave your comments and suggestions! Have an awesome week and share some sunshine with those you love!!

Blessings to you,
Vicki

13 comments:

  1. Great card Vicki! I'm sure your friend loved your card full of fun, bright flowers! I think the button centers add a sweet touch of whimsy :) Big Hugs to ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome card, Vicki!!! What a great way to use buttons - love it. Sounds like you had a wonderful time with your family Happy Birthday to you and your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card is so cute with the bold bright colors. My "garden" is not very good maybe that's why...don't think anybody would want my dandelions that are waiting to multiply...hehehe Happy Birthday, dear Vicki. You deserve the biggest cake ever...What kind are you gonna have??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! Love this colorful card too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are great! I love the bright colors and the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Love the bright colors of this, I always shy away from using bright colors. I like how you used the buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope your birthday was fabulous, you deserve it. Love the floral card, and the southern lore to go with it. I'd never heard any of that. I bet your friend will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you had a wonderful day! I love the card, so happy and cheerful. I love the story about the giving of flowers, as a southern girl, I have heard those most of my life. I had forgotten the one about the "thank you".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a bright, pretty card! The weather is gorgeous these days in our part of the world! We spent Sunday at Norris Dam (we live like 5 mins away) and just sat on the grass while the kids splashed around in a creek. It was great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so pretty you know I love the bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful card. Love all the bright colors. Just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, belated Happy Birthday Vicki!

    What a great card and what lovely traditions about gardens and flowers

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for blessing me with your comments. I truly appreciate each and every one! Have a wonderful day!